Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Hair and oil change insurance

OK - I know there is no insurance for getting my hair cut - but wouldn't it be nice? Even though I do not have insurance to get my hair cut, I still get it done every 6 weeks. I still have my hair colored every 3 months. There really are no health issues involved with not getting my hair cut or colored. I could let it grow and never cut it.

OK, I also know there is no oil change insurance, but wouldn't THAT be nice? Even though I do not have insurance to get an oil change, I still get it done very 3 months. Again, there are no real health issues involved with not getting an oil change every 3 months. I could let my car go for a year or two without it, but I do go in every 3 months.

Why is it that people that have bleeding gums, periodontal disease (gum issues), or cavities assume that they do not have to have anything done to correct the situation? Unlike our hair and our cars, if there is a problem in our mouths, this CAN lead to serious health problems. Unfortunately, many patients say: "If my insurance ONLY pays for twice a year that is all I want to get." or "I have no dental coverage right now, so I cannot have a hygiene visit until I do."

The strong link between your mouth and your whole body's health has been proven through medical and dental research time and time again. Many times a dentist can find symptoms for disease before it is evident to a doctor.

So why do so many people let insurance determine their frequency of visits? I wish I knew - since in all my 56 years of living I have never had dental insurance and I still have all my teeth and my gums are in great shape. Maybe because I listened to my dentist and my hygienist and increased the frequency of my visits as my oral health dictated to these professionals.

At Wheaton Cosmetic Denstistry, we work on educating our patients on their whole body health. Our highly trained hygienists take the time to educate - but ultimately it is up to the patient to decide what they will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment