Monday, May 18, 2009

Bleeding Gums - Is this normal?

At Wheaton Cosmetic Dentistry, I love to hear patients say, "My gums always seem to bleed a little." My question to them is: "If any other part of your body bleeds, is that normal?" BLEEDING OF ANYTHING IS NOT NORMAL!!!!!!

We are lucky to live in an age where the advancement of perio disease is preventible. I remember when I was pregnant with my children my gums bled. My dentist at the time wanted me coming in every 3-4 months which I was happy to do (even though I did NOT have dental insurance.) I did want to keep my teeth for my entire lifetime. My dentist told me something was good for me, and I did it. HE was the expert - not me.

Today so many patients argue with their hygienist and/or dentist about their perio (gum) condition. It is not the providers "fault" that the patients gums are bleeding or are in bad condition. It is up to the hygienist and doctor to educate the patient on the condition and what can be done about it.

Seriously folks, listen to your provider. Only brush and floss the teeth you want to keep. If you don't want to sleep with your teeth in the glass next to your bed, follow your dental providers recommendations. YOU are the only one that can take care of those teeth outside the dental office. Do you want to keep them for your lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment